Exchange 2016 CU15 has been released to the Microsoft download centre! Exchange 2016 has a different servicing strategy than Exchange 2007/2010 and utilises Cumulative Updates (CUs) rather than the Rollup Updates (RU/UR) which were used previously. CUs are a complete installation of Exchange 2016 and can be used to install a fresh server or to update a previously installed one. Exchange 2013 has the same servicing methodology.
This is build 15.01.1913.005 of Exchange 2016 and the update is helpfully named ExchangeServer2016-x64-CU15.iso which allows us to easily identify the update. Details for the release are contained in KB 4522150.
Exchange 2007 is no longer supported, updates are not provided once a product has exited out of extended support.
Exchange 2010 will transition out of support on the 13th of October 2020. Note this is an extension of the original date which was January 14th 2020.
Updates Of Particular Note
4523519 Set-SendConnector doesn't work for Exchange Server in hybrid scenarios with Edge Server installed
4523171 Description of the security update for Microsoft Exchange Server 2019, 2016, and 2013: November 12, 2019
Previously with the release of Exchange 2016 CU 13, support for .NET Framework 4.8 was added. This is now a requirement.
Note that there are some known issues which are discussed in KB 4522150. For net new Exchange installations there are additional operations required for multiple domain environments where /PrepareAD needs to be executed manually in the other domains.
CU14 introduced an issue where Autodiscover EventID 1 error is logged in the Application event log. See KB 4532190 for details.
Details are listed in the Exchange Server prerequisites. Also note the requirement for Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2013.
- 4515256 “The function cannot be performed…” error when you send a message that’s open for a long time in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528693 Get-CalendarDiagnosticLog is proxied for queries within the same forest in Exchange Server 2016
- 4523519 Set-SendConnector doesn't work for Exchange Server in hybrid scenarios with Edge Server installed
- 4528690 Can’t move or delete folder in Outlook online mode if the destination has a folder with the same name in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528687 NotificationClient logs aren't purged and consume lots of disk in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528689 Outlook on the web shows MailTip when recipients equal the large audience size in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528688 Only one recipient shows when saving draft by using Exchange ActiveSync version 16.0 in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528695 Event ID 4009 when using SubjectOrBodyMatchesPatterns on Edge server in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528694 Can't open .ics file in Outlook on the web in Exchange Server 2016
- 4528692 "A parameter was specified that isn't valid” error when creating transport rule in Exchange Server 2016
- 4515257 Hash mismatch is reported for Exchange DLLs in the bin directory of Exchange Server 2016
- 4528696 Exchange PowerShell cmdlets take longer time to run in Exchange Server 2016
- 4532747 Address list separation not working for a user without a mailbox in Exchange Server 2016
- 4523171 Description of the security update for Microsoft Exchange Server 2019, 2016, and 2013: November 12, 2019
Some Items For Consideration
Exchange 2016 follows the same servicing paradigm for Exchange 2013 which was previously discussed on the blog. The CU package can be used to perform a new installation, or to upgrade an existing Exchange Server 2016 installation to this CU. Cumulative Updates are well, cumulative. What else can I say…
Customers with a hybrid Exchange deployment, must keep their on-premises Exchange servers updated to the latest update or the one immediately prior ( N or N-1).
Test the CU in a lab which is representative of your environment
Review this post to also factor in AD preparation which is to be done ahead of installing the CU onto the first Exchange server
Follow your organisation’s change management process, and factor the approval time into your change request
Provide appropriate notifications as per your process. This may be to IT teams, or to end users.
After you install this cumulative update package, you cannot uninstall the cumulative update package to revert to an earlier version of Exchange. If you uninstall this cumulative update package, Exchange is removed from the server.
Place the server into SCOM maintenance mode prior to installing, confirm the install then take the server out of maintenance mode
lace the server into Exchange maintenance mode prior to installing, confirm the install then take the server out of maintenance mode
I personally like to restart prior to installing CUs. This helps identifies if an issue was due to the CU or happened in this prior restart, and also completes any pending file rename operations. 3rd party AV products are often guilty of this
Restart the server after installing the CU
Ensure that all the relevant services are running
Ensure that event logs are clean, with no errors
Ensure that you consult with all 3rd party vendors which exist as part of your messaging environment. This includes archive, backup, mobility and management services.
Ensure that you do not forget to install this update on management servers, jump servers/workstations and application servers where the management tools were installed for an application. FIM and 3rd party user provisioning solutions are examples of the latter.
Ensure that the Windows PowerShell Script Execution Policy is set to “Unrestricted” on the server being upgraded or installed. See KB981474.
Disable file system antivirus prior to installing. Do this through the appropriate console. Typically this will be a central admin console, not the local machine.
Verify file system antivirus is actually disabled
Once server has been restarted, re-enable file system antivirus.
Please enjoy the update responsibly!
What do I mean by that? Well, you need to ensure that you are fully informed about the caveats with the CU and are aware of all of the changes that it will make within your environment. Additionally you will need to test the CU your lab which is representative of your production environment.